4.14.2008

To much nipple talk.


So you know that old adage, you learn something new everyday? Well, Saturday was a doozie for me! One of my besties, RR is getting ready to have a baby. We threw her a small friends shower at Maggiano's (delish) during which the topic of breastfeeding came up.

Now I am the first to admit- I really have no idea (nor really want to know) about "childbearing things". But alas, here are two interesting facts about breastfeeding that I never wanted to learn:
1) Evidentally there are different "shapes" of nipples for bottles that are made to coordinate the Mom's nipples! To quote RR, "Yeah, you can get flat, perky, etc" I mean really, can you imagine going into Babies R Us and being like, excuse me- do you have bottle nipples to match THESE!

2) Some people have to "toughen up their nipples". Now this was way gross. One of my friends was telling me that her friend had to scrub her nipples with dry sponges to "roughen them up". Intrigued, I looked up some information about this. Below are some guidelines that I feel are useful for all women :)

· Do NOT rub your nipples with a nail brush (or even a washcloth) to toughen them.
· Do NOT apply alcohol, witch hazel, tincture of benzoin, or Vaseline to harden / prepare the nipples.
· Do not use soap on your nipples.

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to Borden! I'm with you...that stuff makes me wanna hurl. I'm not quite sure how I feel about breastfeeding. Didnt we have this convo a LONG time ago...we werent breastfed but we turned out ok. Was that you? I think it was! And I agree..
-KT

 

Post a Comment

<< Home